Pages

Saturday, June 23, 2012

Spicy Guacamole


Earlier this week, I had a major craving for guac. As a college student, guacamole can be impractical to make.  Avacados are expensive, they ripen and spoil quickly, and they are impossible to judge until you take them apart.  Nevertheless, the stars aligned this week for me.  TJs had moderately priced avacados that looked somewhat promising, and I jumped on the chance. 


To make my guacamole extra spicy, I threw in a handful of green chiles.  Until recently, I was a little afraid of using green chiles in my food (too spicy! whoo!), but I'm getting better about it.  In this guacamole, it added that exact burst of spiciness that I was looking for:) 


As a precautionary measure to combat the spicy chiles, I added in a little cilantro at the last minute.  Most people either love or hate cilantro, and I have to say that I definitely fall under the former category.  Plus, in this exhausting hot/humid Boston weather, cilantro gives a cool, refreshing flavor that really hits the spot. mmm.


Spicy Guacamole:
3-4 ripe avacados
1/2 medium-sized onion, chopped finely
1-2 cloves of garlic, minced
Juice from 1 lemon
1 handful of green chiles, chopped finely
1 handful of cilantro, chopped finely

Add the garlic and onion to a medium-sized bowl.  Mash one avacado into the mixture, and then add the green chiles.  Mash the rest of the avacados in, and add the lemon juice.  Combine thoroughly, and top with cilantro.  Refrigerate guacamole for 1 hour before serving. 

No comments:

Post a Comment