Pages

Wednesday, October 17, 2012

October Brownies

it's October.

of course it is, you say as you roll your eyes at me. captain obvious much?

Please bear with me, I swear I have a point here.  I don't know what October is to you, but to me, it means arm warmers, the Head of the Charles, apple picking, earthen-toned sweaters, pumpkin, cinnamon, and exams.

That's why, when I make brownies in October, they can't just be any old brownies.  They have to be spiced-up, decadent, my-midterm-sucked brownies.  in short, October brownies!

now don't get me wrong, i love a good box brownie mix as much as the next person does, but in October, that stuff just doesn't cut it. no sir. for these brownies, i decided to look up a recipe from Martha Stewart's cookie book and tweak it a little:)



one more disclaimer (please don't judge me!): I used Nestle chocolate chips instead of semi-sweet baking chocolate or fancier chocolate bars.  i know, i know, i should know better.  But in my defense, I did buy a 72 ounce bag of chocolate chips that i'm still trying to get through before the school year ends.  I thought these turned out pretty good with chocolate chips, but next time i'll definitely use baking chocolate:)



well, i think that's all for now. happy Wednesday!

-Meena

October Spice Brownies:

6 tablespoons unsalted butter
6 ounces semisweet chocolate
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ginger
1 cup sugar
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Butter an 8 x 8 baking dish and set aside.  On low heat, melt the chocolate, butter, and cocoa powder.  Let the mixture cool.  In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, spices, salt, and baking powder.  In a larger bowl, whip together the sugar, eggs, and vanilla with an electric mixer until light and fluffy.   Continue to mix together the egg mixture while adding in the chocolate.  When the chocolate is incorporated, whisk in the flour mixture until well combined.  

Pour batter into the buttered pan, and bake until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the pan comes out clean, or about 30-35 minutes.  Let brownies cool for 15 minutes before cutting into squares.  

No comments:

Post a Comment