Pages

Sunday, June 3, 2012

Minestrone Soup


It's been an icky few days in the Boston area.  The rain, wind, and humidity have been gloomy, and definitely unexpected for June weather.  After a long and exhausting trek to Target in the rain, all I wanted was some comfort food.  One of my favorites is minestrone soup! 



I'm pretty sure I made the entire building smell like onions and garlic for an hour.  But it was totally worth it.


And these green beans were so fresh! I just couldn't resist buying them when I was at the grocery store.  Even though I try to buy food just for myself, I think I actually buy enough for a whole family.  Also, I love this soup because you can really add any vegetables you want.  Although I didn't include potatoes and celery this time, it will certainly add more volume and flavor to the minestrone:)

Fresh basil.  smells.  so.  good.
   


The great thing about pasta in soup is that it soaks up all of the tomato-y goodness and expands like crazy.  By the time the soup had finished simmering, it was thick and hearty.  From the looks of it, I'll probably be eating this minestrone all week!

Minestrone Soup:
1 small onion, chopped
1 handful green onions, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 cup baby carrots, sliced
1 cup green beans, chopped
4 small vine tomatoes, chopped
15 ounces cooked kidney beans, rinsed
2 teaspoons dried oregano
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
1 cup rotini pasta
1/2 cup shaved Parmesan cheese
Trader Joes Red Pepper and Tomato Soup, 1/2 a carton
Water
*Salt- The tomato soup has enough salt in it for me, so I didn't add any to the soup.  But you can always add salt at the end as necessary.

Add the olive oil to a large pot, and cook the onions and garlic under medium heat until they are tender.  Stir in the carrots, green beans, tomatoes, dried oregano, and red pepper flakes, and allow it to simmer until the carrots are cooked.  Pour in the tomato soup and the kidney beans, and bring to a boil.  Add in the pasta and let it simmer until cooked.  Add water as necessary.  When you are ready to serve the soup, sprinkle in the chopped basil and the Parmesan.  Serve hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment