Pages

Sunday, August 18, 2013

Salad Love


Let's set one thing straight- the title of this post probably made you think that it was going to be a sales pitch about being healthy, nutritious, low-fat, or low-carb.  In fact, the salad pictured above is probably one of the unhealthiest i've eaten.  Fried halloumi cheese with mushrooms, sprouts, and tomato. YUM. While I'm all for being healthy, this post is really just about me loving vegetables.  like, a lot.

I've always been a bit of a vegetable junkie.  I suppose being crazy about vegetables is comparatively tame on the scale of obsessions, but I've definitely been known to run around fanatically in the Whole Foods produce section yelling "where is that gorgeous kale from last week??" It is simultaneously both sad and kind of cool that a trip to Whole Foods pretty much makes my day.

Anyways, it turns out that vegetable salads are a big deal in Israel.  Cold salads, warm salads, bean salads, pasta salads... you name it, I've eaten it all here :) The produce in Israel is so fresh and flavorful (and not to mention, cheap) that we end up eating a ton of fruits and vegetables.  Personally, I am partial towards the tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers, and sweet peas.


I'm coming back to the United States with tons of salad inspirations!  Although it's harder to find all of these gorgeous vegetables in Boston all year round, I really hope I can keep up with the variety. After all, I have been eating salad with almost every meal in Israel :)

happy eating to all! enjoy your week!

Meena

No comments:

Post a Comment